Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day Sixteen - The Birthdays of Brothers

Alright, so, the birthday. My brother's 21st birthday, to be exact. I woke up late, having rolled over in bed and barely avoided the flies and midday heat that plagued our bedroom. I strolled out, wishing my bro an awesome 21st, and getting ready for the day. It was a slow morning, with me thanking the only-German speaking Om, who made me an extremely German breakfast, including meat, cheese, bread, more meat, and radishes. My brother got similar fare, and then it was time to open presents.
Now, this was strange for me, because on my birthdays, I get one present to open before school, and then the rest after dinner, but seeing everyone around with shining faces, I quite liked it. There were orange candies, incense, and playing cards adorned with chinese babes (from his sis). Then a fire maker, the heat from which could charge a usb device. It was ballin in so many ways, I assure you.
I sat down to write a blog post, and El came over, introducing herself to me. Once she left, my siblings erected a badminton net, and we played a few rounds with nearly broken rackets. At one point, D swung his especially hard, and the top section bent at a right angle. So that was fun.
Then we set up the hammock and chair in the newly set up trellis over the deck. Each time I'd returned from a little trip, another section of their quickly evolving porch would appear. It grew along the side of the house, spreading outwards, then suddenly formed walls and trellises. And then earlier that day, the big German worker constructing the thing single-handedly lifted the huge beams that would support the roof and hammock. We rolled about in them for a while, my German mother, complaining, as usual, that they weren't all aligned properly. I wrote for a little longer, and T came over, joining our badminton sessions. We played Bocci ball, and I swear D won more round than the rest of us combined, resulting in an all-vs-D sort of play. It was all great fun.
Then came 4 o'clock, which was pretty early for me, considering my wakeup times had been 10am-1m most days, and my German mom started fussing over every little detail of the b-day dinner. We played some more, with sultry jazz playing in the background, and then guests just started appearing. There was Mar and De, Mad, Dar, D and S, Ca, Om, G-mum and dad and sis and bro, and me. And we had a wonderful evening. There were drinks, first, of course, which, because my brother was not allowing alcohol at this event, was some ayurvedic virgin champagne. This may sound really weird, and it was, but it grew on me. We had more games, and taco bowl dinner, and my bro and D showed off the fire thingie, making espresso with the heat of the 'smokeless' fire and charging my sisters new tablet (she was enthralled with the device, as it was her first (something)). I played a game of badminton with various people and we laughed together, the language barrier overcome by gestures and smiles. There was singing and cake cake, strawberry and awesome, but we opted to chill with the fire, just D and my bro and sis and me.
Later that night, once most people left, and after we'd played vikings chess (it started here, I guess!) we went off to El's for a second party, with my bro and S promising to be shortly behind. Now El's party did have drinks, and joint sand the like, all around a campfire in the backyard. It was my first time actually walking around Lebensgarden (where they live), so it was a shame it was in the dark. The party was filled with people with forgettable names, who all knew him through her and stayed along for the ride. D and my sis didn't even know some of the attendees, but they gathered with others to chill and talk. My brother was eventually dragged over with S by my sis and D, as Ka had made him a naked lady cake. This was a tradition, apparently, for Lebensgarden baked goods. Clitoris cupcakes, penis cakes, doughy butt cheeks with a candy g-strap, and two marzipan figures screwing on a cake for a birthday were a few of the delicacies from the past. So this was actually fairly blaise. Oh, yeah, I met Ka, the mother, and Li, the guitar man, and Aa, the...dude, I guess. I chose to go with apple juice, feeling very manly amongst all this beer and wine. I met some very excited German guys, all of whom were happy to use me as their 'English practice dummy'. And that was all sorts of entertaining. let me tell you. Li looked oddly pale at one point in the night, and, seemingly in response to my question of 'hey, are you all right?', fainted and collapsed first onto a shelf, and then the floor. We steadied him, and I went out to sit on the couch outside, and chat with D about anime. My sis came over, and eventually we headed home. It was a day to remember, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment