Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day Fifteen - Return to Base

Here's what went down: My sis and D went to the jazz club with S, then she left to sleep, and they stayed. Then, D wanted some more of the cakes from last night, they'd had a lot of fun with them. The ckaes didn't affect him as much, so they bought three. My sis only ate a half, but D consumed the other 2.5 pieces. Mind you, the recommended dosage for these is 1. They wandered to a park, and were having a jovial time, when D started acting weird, and laid on the ground. He wouldn't get up, and my sister started freaking out. She didn't know where they were. She tried calling my brother, and me, but my phone was silenced. She screamed, and eventually an electrician working on the lights (as she claims, it was 3 in the morning) came, and, despite her fear of him, he helped them into a rickshaw and sent them back towards the hostel. D was seriously out of it, and when my brother and S found them, he was green as a pickle. They got him into the hostel lobby, and my brother thought D was going to barf, despite S's insistance that he wouldn't. Then he hurled onto the carpet. My sis and D were sent to bed, and my brother was kind enough to clean the besieged carpet.
We woke up fairly early, for us, and moved as quickly as our tired bodies would allow to get packed up and ready to leave. D was still a bit out of it from the previous night, so he rolled over in bed and fell asleep again, but the rest of us went up the stairs to the bathroom, then gathered with our plastic trays, apple juice, breads and yogurt in the cafeteria. We ate, then went downstairs to put our dishes ont he racks. We came back to strip the beds of our bedding, and I washed up.
The locker was excavated (just the one, because we only had one padlock), and then me and my brother went out onto the street, him determined to find me a suitable place to eat these small german pancakes called 'Eierkuchen'. These were apparently quite a delight, and as I hadn't seen the side of town he was taking me to (his favorite side), I was intrigued. We stepped across the dividing lines between the two sides of the bustling morning city, and suddenly....it was silent. A couple people roamed the streets, and, after finding that the pancake place was closed, we simply sat on a street bench, near a small canal, and talked about things. It was that rare glimpse of egg-white peace, sitting there.
We returned shortly after, realizing that we were already late. We grabbed our stuff, left the hostel, grabbed a tram, then another, which D and S nearly missed. S made friends with a music geek riding with us, who talked abut the underground clubs that had the best music. We got back tot he car, piled in, and made for the drive home, S driving with my brother in the front.
The TomoTomo GPS we had led us through an odd countryside after about 3 hours of driving. There were hills and greenery, and it was a great view. I listened to some music, and we were home before we knew it. (It happens like this when you're traveling around the world, you know? any place with a bed becomes home).
D got big hugs from my german folks, they knew what had happened and were glad to see he was doing alright. He looked pretty fragile, and S and he returned to their house to rehabilitate. Now, while we were gone, my sisters grandmothers on both sides had arrived, one a large german woman who we'll call Om, and the other a smiling, American woman named Ca. They greeted us kindly, and we went in to recuperate. We hung out that night, and did nothing. I think it was really our first day of summer, actually. My sister agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment