Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day Five - Austria, Aww Yeah.

Waking up at the Pension spurred a flurry of activity, with clothes sailing into bags, cups juggled and scrubbed, and the rolls bought down at the local store slathered and sandwiched.
We went into town, and I lounged about while my sis got more information about applying to a special program at the university.
Then came the drive. Another 6 or so hours - I'm not really sure - but I was pretty excited to be seeing the world for the first time, so time seemed to fly by like the white-capped gold mountain peaks, thronged with trees and shrubbery of all sorts.
Suddenly, we were in Innsbrook, Austria. And it was pretty sweet. The golden Prius pulled up in front of a large mustard apartment building, and we stepped out of the car to straighten ourselves and shake off that post-travel haze, before my German brother stepped out the door and my sister ran to him for a huge hug. I joined them, and then he led us up, and we saw his modest, but modern apartment, complete with one bathroom, living room, kitchen, and two roommates, who we met briefly before exiting the building again.
After a comparison test of my brothers new and old skateboards, we walked through the town, to meet with a local friend of my brothers, named M, who led us to a very fine Italian place for dinner. There was a lasagna that singed my tongue, and I smacked the top of my mouth on the walk back, but I'm not sure why I told you that.
Leaving the restaurant, we returned to the apartment and saw off my german mother, father, and my sisters grandfather, while meeting M's sister, and an ex of my brother, L.
We then decided to go out on the town, and my brother has this uncanny way of collecting people on his excursions. First was the cafe, where we ordered pumpkin oil icecream, and then continued a debate my brother had started before we arrived as to the nature of the green topping sprinkled on the frozen dessert. He believed it was nori seaweed, and my smell and taste agreed. However, he had a biologist friend, and her friend, E, who were utterly sure it was mountain weed. Eventually the waitress confirmed that it was an herb mix, and unfortunately for us, land-based.
We headed out to check out a swig club, but they'd finished a little bit ago.
We then walked to a nearby pub, the walls slathered in vinyl covers from the past century, and most of the group ordered drinks. There was also supposed to be live music, but the band had just finished. My brother, of course, had decided that night so far was a failure. I tended to disagree, because hanging out with my sis and him was anything but mundane. Two more men joined us, and one started hitting on my sister, but she passed if off rather well, if I do says so myself.
We left, and I chatted with L and E for a bit. We hit up an ATM, and were going to try and get in to these two establishments, Mustache, a lounge and bar, and Aftershave, a dance club. however, they were carding people upon entrance, and although I may look over 18, or even 22 by the last estimate, my card number has risen no higher, with a big 17 to turn me away. So we hung out, just M and E and my bro and sis and me, at Mustache. Oh, and because you needed to know, there was a distinct lack of mustaches at the venue.
I don't understand Austria.
We returned to the apartment, leaving E, drunk and tired, at her place. Then it was music and talk with good people until late, and I headed off to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment